Monday, May 12, 2014

We the people!!!

A Firang friend of mine wanted to know if stuff showed in Slumdog Millionaire is indeed the real state of affairs in India…

I being a good ambassador of my country tried to explain how we have two different Indias inside India…

How some ‘Tatyaa’ in a remote village of Maharashtra only has a white ‘Jhabba’ as his routine attire, while someone in the capital of the same state goes to Fab India or some other garment store to buy a rustic Kurta for the traditional day in his college…..

How someone in Himachal has to walk miles to fetch the groceries for her family, while someone in Adidas trekking gear has traveled in the Business Class flight, just to ‘Experience the Mountains’…

How someone in Rajashtan depends only on the cow dung cake to light her daily ‘Chullha‘, while some marketing manager for Rajasthan Tourism enters ‘Ahhhh… smell of the soil’  in her presentation…

And I gave a couple of other instance.
When I stopped, I was questioned “What are you guys doing about it?”…

To which, all I could answer was , “We write about it on Facebook, when we are bored!!” :)

No comments: